Tuesday, April 23, 2013

God Calling

     It's not always easy to answer when God calls.  It may not always be what you want or what you think best.  However, answering that call always proves to be the biggest and best blessing.  For being in God's will is the best place to be! 

     I grew up in a Christian home.  We were at church every time the doors were open.  Then, my mom joined the church staff and we were often there when the doors weren't open.  I knew all the Sunday school answers to any question asked of me.  Until high school, I thought I had been saved when I was 7 years old.  As soon as 7th grade started, though, I began to have doubts about my salvation.  I kept it a silent battle for awhile.  Finally, I was ready to settle all doubts.  I walked into my youth pastor's office on March 12, 1999 and told him about my doubts.  He smiled, got his Bible, and led me to the Savior Who washed my doubts (and sins) away.  About 3 1/2 years later, as a junior in high school, God called me to something that I fully surrendered to...even though it scared me!  I have always had a heart for missions and for the mission field, but this time, God was calling me to that.  I had already been on a few stateside mission trips and would go on a few more in the coming years and a few outside the U.S.  It wouldn't be until I was 25 years old that God would reveal His plan for me in His calling.

     In June of 2010, I took my first mission trip to Cieneguilla, Peru, South America.  I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't a big fan of it.  I was pretty glad to be home after that trip.  I never planned on going back.  I loved the ministry, but had a rough week and didn't want to return.  September 2010 came around and applications for the next trip were due.  I walked by one and laughed..."so glad I'm not going."  That didn't last long!  I ended up filling out and turning in an application by the end of the month.  It was one of those things where I could hear God reprimanding me and telling me that if I didn't fill out the application, He would.  So, needless to say, I lowered my head and obeyed.  I got together with a friend in March for coffee.  She was on furlough from Taiwan.  The first thing she said to me was, "When are you moving to Peru?"  I thought she had been in Asia too long!  We spent about 3 hours talking that night.  By the time I got home, I was really feeling God working on my heart.  I walked into our kitchen and brought the idea up to my mom.  God had already let her in on this plan.  So, by the time I returned to Peru in 2011, I was ready to see what God had for me in that country.  I left in love!  I prayed for the next year about this journey.  I returned to my Peru in June of 2012 knowing that, as soon as I could see the Lima city lights break through the clouds, I was "home." 

     I'm so excited about this new journey God is leading me on.  I leave on May 30 for a year long mission trip to my Peru.  From June to August, I will intern at New Life Children's Home in Cieneguilla.  Then, in August, I will start another new journey...inside the current journey!  I will be joining the staff at Fetzer Memorial Christian Academy teaching 5th and 6th grade missionary kids...something I've wanted to do since I was called to missions in high school.  God is opening doors and blessing me beyond my wildest dreams...and way beyond what I deserve!  I am so grateful!  I can not wait to see just what all God will lead me to on this journey.  I do, however, covet your prayers.  I'll blog again with more specifics, but, for now, just pray!

   God is great and great to be praised!  I'm so humbled that He is choosing to use me!  So, when God calls, don't be afraid to answer.  Don't miss the blessing(s) He has in store just for you!

     "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?'  Then I said, 'Here am I; send me.'"  Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment